As summer approaches, many families are excited to open their backyard pools for some fun in the sun. However, owning a pool also comes with the responsibility of ensuring that your guests and loved ones are safe. Here are some tips on pool safety to help reduce your risk of liability and protect your guests:
- Install a fence: Installing a fence around your pool is one of the most effective ways to keep uninvited guests and children out of the pool area. The fence should be at least four feet high and have a self-latching gate.
- Invest in pool covers and alarms: A pool cover or alarm system can help prevent accidental drownings. Pool covers should be strong and secure enough to support the weight of a child or adult who accidentally falls on it. Alarms can alert you if someone enters the pool area or falls into the water.
- Enforce pool rules: Establish clear pool rules for your guests and enforce them. Rules could include no running, no diving in shallow areas, and no horseplay. Make sure all guests are aware of the rules and follow them.
- Supervise children: Children should always be supervised by an adult when they are in or around the pool. Never leave children unattended in the pool, even for a moment.
- Learn CPR: Knowing CPR can save a life in an emergency. Consider taking a CPR course to learn how to respond to an emergency in and around the pool.
- Maintain the pool: Proper maintenance is crucial to keep your pool safe and clean. Regularly test the water chemistry and make sure the pool is properly balanced. Clean and vacuum the pool regularly to ensure it is free of debris and algae.
- Review your insurance: Accidents can happen despite your best efforts to prevent them. Make sure your homeowners' insurance policy includes liability coverage for your pool. Contact Morris Insurance Services in Sykesville, Glen Burnie, and Baltimore, MD to learn more about your coverage options.
By following these tips, you can enjoy a safe and fun summer by the pool while reducing your risk of liability and protecting your guests. At Morris Insurance Services, we understand the importance of pool safety and are committed to helping our clients in Sykesville, Glen Burnie, and Baltimore, MD stay protected. Contact us today to learn more about our homeowners' insurance policies and other insurance options.